Welcome back to Week 4 of the bathroom renovation! I can’t believe 4 weeks have gone by already. This week was all about the demo.
Last week when I started removing the trim and baseboards below the window, I noticed a lot of mold and damage to the existing sheet rock. So Justin went back and removed all of the damaged parts. He also removed the drywall behind the toilet while he was on the hunt for the water valve.
The hardest part for him to tackle was the shower surround. Once he was able to remove that we realized there was quite a bit of mold there too. Initially we were planning to do the mold remediation ourselves but after seeing everything I decided it would be best to leave that up to the professionals. Especially since we have Luna to think about.
All About the Mold
I reached out to a mold removal company but they informed me that we have to get testing done first before they can begin cleaning. Also found out that if you suspect that you have mold you are not suppose to start ripping out the stuff because it can spread the mold and contaminate the space more. Oops. We are having someone come out next week to test the space and it takes about forty-eight to get the results. I’m hoping this won’t cause too much of a delay for our project!
Out with the old:
Remove trim Remove light fixture above vanity mirror Remove vanity and mirror Remove upper cabinet above toilet
- Remove toilet
Remove baseboards Remove shower surround
- Replace light fixture above shower
In with the new:
- Install tile in the shower
- Install new shower head
- Install shiplap
- Paint the walls
- Install new toilet
- Build floating shelf above toilet
- DIY bathroom vanity
- Install new bathroom faucets
- Hang new mirror
- Install bathroom light fixture
- Clean the floor
- Paint the floor
- Install new baseboards & trim
- Install hardware
Glad to have made some progress but we still have a long way to go! I’m also still on the hunt for budget friendly floor option. The paint I wanted for the floor is currently out of stock. Option 2 was peel-and-stick floor tile but the one I want is also out of stock! So here is to hoping they restock those items!
That about wraps up this weeks progress update. Don’t forget to check out what all the other participants have been up to for their projects here!